There are two kinds of SIG membership available:
- Subscriber only (2,500 yen)
- Full JALT membership (10,000 yen plus SIG Membership 1,500yen)
The differences are these:
|Benefits of membership||Available to subscribers
|Available to JALT/TC SIG members
|Access to TC SIG mailing list*||YES||YES|
|Subscription to Teachers Learning With Children quarterly magazine||YES||YES|
|Member's rate for TC SIG events||YES||YES|
|Member's rate for JALT chapter meetings||NO||YES|
|Subscription to monthly The Language Teacher magazine||NO||YES|
|Subscription to quarterly The JALT Journal||NO||YES|
|National Conference discounts||NO||YES|
* This list is open to anyone with an interest in teaching children. It is a moderated Yahoo list.
How do I get involved?
The current options for Joining the SIG are:
1. Join Online Full JALT membership option 2. Join at an event or conference Full and subscription membership options 3. Join using a JALT membership postal from Full membership option 4. Join through our furikae account Subscription membership option
- Follow this link.
- Fill out the form.
- In the section titled Special Interest Groups check the Teaching Children (TC) box.
- You will also need to select a Chapter you would like to join. Your membership money goes towards helping that Chapter put on events. Unless you have a strong affiliation with the Chapter area you live in, please take a quick look at which chapters are supporting events for teachers of children. Your JALT membership is portable so please take your time to support a chapter which in turn supports teachers of children.
Joining at an event or Conference:
Please enquire at the reception desk about subscription and full membership options and one of our very friendly and smiling SIG Officers will assist you with the completion of the necessary forms and take your payment.
Joining by regular post:
Join using a JALT membership postal form (for full membership):
- Contact Takako or Atsuko at the JALT Central Office (Tel: 03-3837-1630,
Fax: 03-3837-1631; Office hours 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.) Ask them for a membership
- Contact any of your JALT friends for a membership form which is included in the back of all copies of the The Language Teacher and The JALT Journal.
- When filling out the form, please check SIG Code number 11 (Teaching Children SIG), like this:
- You will also need to select a Chapter you would like to join (see circle on form). Your membership money goes towards helping that Chapter put on events. Unless you have a strong affiliation with the Chapter area you live in, please take a quick look at which chapters are supporting events for teachers of children. Your JALT membership is portable so please take your time to support a chapter which in turn supports teachers of children.
Joining through our furikae account:
- Go to your local post office and ask for a furikae form.
- Fill out the form like this. Please include your name and address in romaji.
Should you have any questions, please use our contact form and send an email to Catherine Littlehale-Oki, our Membership Officer. She will get back to you with a prompt and on-the-mark answer!
Thank you for your interest in the Teaching Children's SIG of JALT. We look forward to seeing you at our local, regional and national events soon.